Home / Water Filters / Rotten Egg Smell
Rotten Egg Smell What It Really Is And What It Is Doing To Your Body
The rotten egg smell comes from hydrogen sulfide.
A gas which is incredibly toxic, corrosive, and flammable. It can be deadly.
Hydrogen sulfide can poison the body in many different ways. The nervous system is what tends to be the most affected. The toxicity of hydrogen sulfide is very similar to carbon monoxide, something for which most homes have detectors and alarms now.
Hydrogen Sulfide binds with iron within the body, and from there prevents cellular respiration.
While there are enzymes to deal with it, as it occurs in small levels within the body. Beyond a certain amount, those enzymes become overwhelmed.
In industrial settings, workers carry alarms set to around 5 parts per million, in order to keep them safe.
Lower concentrations, even short term, can cause eye irritation, sore throats, coughing, nausea, shortness of breath and also fluid in the lungs. Much of the time you could think these things are being caused by a wide number of other things too.
Longer-term exposure can, of course, lead to even bigger health issues.
Hence the reason the KDF® 85 filter, is one of the stages in the AquaOx whole house water filter system. And while it is the most effective means of filtering hydrogen sulfide from your water, we still have it backed up by Centaur Catalytic Adsorptive Carbon, just to be sure!
Check out our whole house water systems.