Sulfur Water Filter - Shower Head
Does Your Water Smell Like Rotten Eggs?
Do you have a rotten egg smell in your water? Does it smell up your house, make your clothes stink and make you gag when you take a shower? Can you drink it or cook with your water smelling that way? You have a hydrogen sulfide problem.
What is Hydrogen Sulfide?
Hydrogen sulfide is a gas easily identified by its “rotten egg” smell. This is caused by decaying matter in your water. It is very tough to live with and I’m sure the wife or husband is reminding you every day. It is more commonly found in well water than municipal water.
Health Effects of Hydrogen Sulfide
Exposure to lower concentrations can result in eye irritation, a sore throat and cough, nausea, shortness of breath, and fluid in the lungs. Long-term, low-level exposure may result in fatigue, loss of appetite, headaches, irritability, poor memory, and dizziness.
Chronic exposure to low-level H2S has been implicated in increased miscarriage and reproductive health issues. The AquaOx Whole House Water Filter can remove the hydrogen sulfide from your water and rid you of the awful sulfur odor coming from your sink and shower water. When friends and family come over its embarrassing. AquaOx has engineered a revolutionary solution.
If your Cold Water smells like Rotten Egg, it has Hydrogen Sulfide.
If you fill a glass with cold water, walk away from your sink and detect a sour aroma of rotten eggs, you presumably have elevated levels of sulfur bacteria or hydrogen sulfide gas in your water supply. Even extremely small amounts of hydrogen sulfide can induce your water to have quite the strong smell.
In most cases, the water is perfectly safe to drink. Although sometimes a sulfurous stench, can indicate dangerous contamination. Tap water can often smell musty, earthy, even sewage-like, though this normally results from a simple build-up of organic matter in your plumbing and often, is nothing to worry about.
Table of Contents
- If your Cold Water smells like Rotten Egg, it has Hydrogen Sulfide.
- What can make my water smell like Rotten Eggs?
- 3 Signs you are a victim of Rotten Eggs Smell
- Can I drink water that smells like Rotten Eggs?
- How to Get Rid of Rotten Eggs Smell?
- What if my Rotten Egg Smell ONLY comes from the Hot Water?
- Hydrogen Sulfide Overview Clips
- Want To Know How To Get Rid Of The Rotten Egg Smell?
Table of Contents
What can make my water smell like Rotten Eggs?
Depending on where you’re placed, suppliers routinely add up to five chemicals to the source to guarantee your water supply is safe to drink. These include:
- Liquefied chlorine,
- Fluorosilicic acid,
- Aluminum sulfate,
- Calcium hydroxide
- Sodium silicofluoride (Can produce the strange odor.
2. Iron Bacteria
Iron bacteria and sulfur bacteria present in groundwater use iron and sulfur as an energy fount and chemically change sulfates to produce H2S gas. These bacteria use the sulfur available from dying plants, rocks, or soil and often prosper in an iron-rich environment. The inoffensive non-toxic bacteria normally exist in oxygen-deficient environments, such as deep wells and plumbing systems. The bacteria do not usually cause health problems but contribute to bad tastes and/or odors at low levels.
3. Wells are more susceptible
Hydrogen sulfide gas may also be found naturally in wells drilled in shale or sandstone, near coal or peat deposits, or oil fields. Here are some reasons wells are more susceptible:
- Naturally occurring – a result of decay and chemical reactions with soil and rocks.
- Produced by certain “sulfur bacteria” in the groundwater, well, or plumbing system.
- Produced by sulfur bacteria or chemical reactions inside of water heaters.
- From pollution (this is rare).
Sulfate is a dissolved naturally occurring mineral and at levels of 250 PPM can cause a laxative effect if the water is drunk. High levels of sulfate can be easily tested with a test kit or laboratory analysis. Sulfate has no odor, but high levels of sulfate with water that is not purified can cause hydrogen sulfide by the action of sulfate-reducing bacteria.
3 Signs you are a victim of Rotten Eggs Smell
- Signs of sulfur bacteria: Bacterial slime may be white, grey, black, or reddish-brown ifassociated with iron bacteria.
- Signs of hydrogen sulfide gas: Black stains on silverware and plumbing fixtures.
- Signs of hydrogen sulfide gas: Corrosion on pipes and metal components of thewater distribution system
Can I drink water that smells like Rotten Eggs?
There may be an excess level of hydrogen sulfide or sulfur bacteria in your water supply which, in most cases, doesn’t indicate any threat to wellness, but there are some circumstances you should be careful about.
- Exposure to high levels of hydrogen sulfide can cause dry skin, skin discoloration, irritation, and itchiness, among other symptoms.
- Hydrogen sulfide is also a corrosive, and it could damage the metal piping in your house.
- Sulfur bacteria produces a slime and can help other bacteria grow, such as iron bacteria. The slime can clog wells, plumbing, and irrigation systems.
- While sulfur bacteria are not harmful, hydrogen sulfide gas in the air can be harmful at high levels. It is important to remove the gas from the water or vent the gas to the atmosphere. Venting prevents the gas from collecting in low-lying spaces (such as well pits and basements) or enclosed spaces (such as well houses).
Will a Shower Filter Get Rid of Rotten Eggs Smell?
There are two types of measures you can take in this situation. Some are very expensive and don’t last long, and the other one is to get a Water Filter. You can shock your well with chlorine bleach or hydrogen peroxide to get temporary relief from sulfur odor. You can additionally spend a lot of money on the maintenance and installation process with a chlorine injector system or a hydrogen peroxide system.
Or you can choose the easiest, cheapest and long-lasting option, an AquaOx water filtration system. No need to purchase shower head filters.
If you only smell the rotten egg smell when you are close to the faucet or in the shower, then the AquaOx by itself will solve your rotten egg smell.
If you smell the rotten egg smell out in the room such as sitting on the couch, then you will need the AquaOx + Extreme Rotten Egg Smell Bundle to take away the smell.
What if my Rotten Egg Smell ONLY comes from the Hot Water?
Well, then your problem is in the water heater anode. You will need a new anode put in your hot water heater to solve this problem. Replace the anode and the rotten egg smell goes away.
Do I Need to Buy Shower Head Filters for My Existing Shower Head to Get Ride of Rotten Egg Smell?
Not necessarily. If you use the AquaOx Water Filter, you won’t need to buy a separate shower head filter. With a granular activated carbon filter, the AquaOx will remove contaminants including hydrogen sulfide. The filtration system has multiple types of filtration media to eliminate harmful chemicals and contaminants.
This system works as the best shower filter! You won’t need to purchase a shower filter or even replace your existing shower head with this filtration system since it filters the water in your entire house. So if you love your shower heads and the water pressure in your house, don’t worry! You can keep them in place.